Wednesday, December 10, 2014

THE RECORD COLLECTION

Ever since one of my lovely daughters (there is some disagreement about exactly which daughter it was) managed to destroy the cartridge on my old turntable about fifteen years ago, I haven't  been able to play records.

It's funny how okay with that I was at the time because before that, listening to records was a very big part of my life. I have a pretty good record collection with about 400 LP's of many different genre's and I used to listen to them often. Of course CD's came around and suddenly there were a lot of records for sale at garage sales very cheap!


A sampling of records from my collection
Over the years I ferociously resisted the efforts of my lovely wife Rose to get rid of my records and I'm glad I did. Because now after all these years I have something to play them on. My birthday was just a couple of weeks ago and when the girls asked what I wanted, I asked for a turntable (what goes around, comes around!) and now I am enjoying it immensely.

Playing these old recordings is actually a lot of fun! Of course some of them seem completely silly to me now and the lyrics can be a bit on the gritty side, but life is full of grit.


My new turntable that also rips songs to mp3 format. Thanks girls!

Some of these old recordings seem to be tied to memories going all the way back to the time when I was living at home with my parents. The very first record that I owned was a gift from my sister Cheryl and I still own it today, it is an album by the Moody Blues called "Seventh Sojourn" released in 1972, and my copy still sounds great today. 

I have memories of the first time I ever heard "Dire Straights" I think at the time I was riding in my sister's boyfriend's car, (now brother-in-law) and how much I enjoyed then and still enjoy the unique guitar playing of Mark Knopfler.

I'm sure I used to drive my brother in Law Murry crazy with my standard question when we were discussing bands. "if you like Pink Floyd, would you like________"?

I think his standard answer was "probably" because when I think about it now, it's a bit of a goofy question! Thanks Murry for being patient with your future brother-in-law.

Of course what we used to do in those days was buy an LP and then record it to a cassette tape to allow us to play it in the car and in the house without bothering to flip the record over after 20 minutes, that was definitely a pain.

The first thing I did after buying "Scarlet" my 1968 Ambassador that I got while I was in grade 12, was to put a good stereo in with a cassette player. Then I would play music in the car that I had "ripped" from my records at home. 

If you haven't roared around in a classic car with Steppenwolf's "Born to be Wild" blasting out with lyrics like, "get your motor running, head out on the highway, looking for adventure and whatever comes our way", well then you're probably not from my generation! Trust me, it was the thing to do back in the day.



Today both of my girls are among the growing number of young people who now own turntables and the beginnings of their own vinyl record collections. It's funny how these things come around again and the hunger for nostalgia and the "cool" things of the past pushes the industry to provide a way to listen to and even to rip these old recordings to mp3 format. 

Of course, this can lead to it's own set of problems such as your kids borrowing your old records.
And that reminds me, I need to get my copy of T.Rex-Slider back from April before I forget that she has it!

No comments: